Categories

Search

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Megan's Corner

I got a recipe book for my wedding that was from a place called the Double Musk.  I had never heard of it, so I never even opened the cook book. Once moving to my husband's hometown of Anchorage Alaska, I quickly discovered that it is an amazing cajun cuisine and a very popular restaurant among Alaskans. especially those with a lot of time on their hands. This restaurant is 45 minutes from Anchorage with nothing much around it. They are constantly packed and they don't take reservations. On top of that it is typically a long time before your food is cooked to perfection so you don't just go for a quick bite, you go for the experience. By the end of about two hours you are so uncomfortably full but not one bit regretful. After I tried this dessert  once I knew I wanted to learn how to make it. It is a huge hit everywhere I go. By the way, one day I was telling my in-laws that some random person gave me the Double Musky cookbook before I ever even knew what it was and my Mother-in-law pipes up and says "Yeah, that random person, would be me." Whoops! And I'm sure I wrote her a nice long thank-you for it. :)

First of all you are going to need the following ingredients:
First Layer
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
32 saltines
1 cup chopped roasted pecans (you can roast them by cooking them at 350 degrees on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes...watch them so they don't burn!) 
Second Layer
1/2 cup butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs

whipped topping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Start the butter and chocolate for the second layer melting in a double boiler. Or if you are nice and creative like me you can use a metal bowl over a simmering pot of water!

First Layer: Beat the egg whites until they become airy and fluffy. Add vanilla and cream of tartar. Slowly add the sugar while still beating the egg whites. Continue beating until the meringue forms stiff, glossy peaks and has the consistency of marshmallow cream.
In a separate bowl, crush the crackers into small pieces and mix in the chopped pecans. Fold meringue into the cracker mixture, mixing it in thoroughly. 


Spread it into a greased 10-inch pie pan. I use a 9 inch spring form pan and it works great. DO NOT USE A 9 INCH PIE PAN. You will regret it....and the mess that you will have to clean out of your oven! Be sure to spread the meringue to the edges and smooth it against the edges. Bake the meringue for 10 minutes. When done, the meringue will be slightly brown around the edges.


Second Layer: When the butter and chocolate have melted, mix in the sugar and flour. Add the eggs and mix them in until fully incorporated. Don't mix any more than necessary or this layer will be too airy.


Starting at the edge of the pan and spiraling to the center in a thin stream, pour the chocolate mixture over the meringue. Replace the pie in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. When done, the pie will be slightly crusty on top with the center still a little moist.



Replace the pie in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. When done, the pie will be slightly crusty on top with the center still a little moist. Refrigerate the pie until it is cool and then top it with whipped topping.


Refrigerate until ready to serve.


2 comments

This really looks wonderful Meg. You say in the directions to add crackers but it's not in the list of ingredients...can you specify please.
I'd love to make this for Easter.

REPLY

Thanks for catching that! I fixed the ingredients list to say 32 saltines. The crackers make the crust so good! Hope you enjoy.

REPLY

Parties and Patterns . 2019 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by NlinkSolution